About Internet Works:
The internet has powered innovation, commerce, and expression in remarkable ways. Our coalition represents a diverse collection of companies that have benefited from this environment.
Our goal is to ensure our broad cross-section of users are represented in important policy conversations and to preserve the internet as a place of limitless possibility.
About our new Executive Director position:
The Internet Works (IW) Association is seeking a dynamic, creative, and innovative leader to serve as its first Executive Director (ED). This new ED will report to the Internet Works Board of Directors and be responsible for delivering on the mission of the Association, which was founded to be the voice of mid-tier tech platforms in tech policy debates, including Section 230 and intermediary liability protections. Since forming in 2020, the group has worked to elevate the voice of mid-tier tech platforms and ensure that laws continue to promote innovation, freedom of expression, and consumer choice in products and safety practices. As the IW’s first ED, you will be a part of building and expanding the association and its operations, including new member recruiting, while having the benefit of relying on a stable group of existing member companies and an established infrastructure.
The ED is responsible for overall strategic and operational leadership and management of IW with responsibilities that include:
- Overseeing and directing the association’s day‐to‐day operations including planning for and leading membership calls, managing working groups and building consensus that enables group decision-making.
- Building and managing organization operations that enable the group to set, deliver on and manage association goals.
- Establishing and directing a budgeting process, ensuring ongoing adherence thereto, and overseeing and reporting on spending and income, payments and invoicing, and related matters.
- Leading the group through prioritization and goal setting including establishing policy and geographic focus areas — and tracking and reporting back on relevant political, policy, and legislative developments.
- Overseeing efforts to recruit new member companies, including identifying prospective members and undertaking proactive outreach to attract new company participation.
- Establishing new and managing existing relations with key on- and off-Hill relationships as well as other relevant civil society and industry groups, academia and companies.
- Developing a public affairs strategy, in consultation with members and with the support of a public affairs firm, to strategically elevate the profile of the Coalition with key stakeholders.
- Overseeing external communications, including managing media and third-party outreach (with the support of a public affairs firm, as needed), and the organization’s online presence including website and social media.
- Overseeing all fiscal and compliance matters — for instance in relation to tax, lobbying, and otherwise — of the organization with the support of the Board of Directors.
- Managing consultants including, with the guidance of the Board of Directors, negotiations with outside firms (outside legal counsel, federal and state lobbyists and public affairs firms).
- Creative thinker: Ability to promote the priorities and values of mid-sized internet firms with policymakers, partners, the press and general public.
- Political acumen: Strong understanding of Washington, D.C., with prior experience lobbying, developing, and running advocacy campaigns. Additional such experience at the state level is preferred.
- Analytical thinker: Ability to analyze policy proposals for impact and report on highly complex legal, policy and business issues.
- Strategic executor: Ability to see the big picture, and experience developing a vision and plan and executing on that plan.
- Industry experience: Knowledge and experience of the technology industry, whether working within a firm or trade association, or working on such matters in a policymaking, NGO/think tank, or journalism context.
- Skilled communicator: Strong written communication and content creation skills. Also, superior verbal communications skills, including the ability to serve as a spokesperson for the organization and its members.
- Leadership and management experience: Leadership skills and gravitas necessary to represent the IW’s membership base and serve the stakeholder community to advance the objectives of the organization. The ED will be a dynamic, highly credible leader who has shown progressive responsibility throughout their career and will have demonstrable success in previous leadership roles.
- Strong relationships: Ability to leverage existing Hill and Administration relationships and understand how to build and nurture new relationships and alliances to the benefit of the coalition.
- Independent worker: Demonstrates a proven track record of being self-motivated and capable of independently driving initiatives, making decisions, and taking ownership of projects, exhibiting a high level of self-reliance and proactive problem-solving abilities in achieving set objectives. Ability to undertake these responsibilities in a remote-first setting.
- Member-oriented: Ability to identify and serve the needs of a broad cross-section of member companies, while pursuing steady membership growth in coordination with the board.
- Candidates will have a minimum of 8-10 years of experience in relevant managerial or leadership roles, dealing with complex and high‐profile legislative matters, ideally within or in relation to the technology industry.
- Preferred candidates will have prior trade association or coalition management experience and/or a strong understanding of the dynamics of how trade associations work on behalf of their members.
- Other relevant experience may include experience on Capitol Hill and lobbying, working for an in-house lobbying shop, developing and leading complex advocacy campaigns in association, campaign or corporate environments, or covering relevant matters as a journalist.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, advanced degree is preferred.
- Position based in Washington, DC with the potential for a hybrid arrangement.